Saturday 12 November 2011

Dubai 2008

We visited Dubai and as usual it was great to catch up with our friends that we had made over the years we had been going.  We also had a very lucky experience and having become friends with our Butler, indeed we always requested him, we were able to look around the penthouse suites in the Burj - but don't tell anyone!
The ladies lounge
Bejoy was a great Butler, he always knew when not to bother us or when to take his leave.

When we would return from the beach he always appeared with a glass of peach wine, it was so refreshing.

Anyhow one day he said the penthouse is empty would you like to have a look around, me being me I jumped at the chance, although not dressed for the occasion as we hadn't had time to shower from coming up from the beach.  I love looking around houses, hotels etc so this was a real treat.
This is certainly the largest dining room table I have ever sat at.  I am not sure but I think it sat 12.  The table was solid, I would hate to have to move it, let alone polish it.  All the decoration in gold is gold leaf, it is over the top but then that's what they pay off.
What a grand staircase
This bed rotates - not for me


Bejoy and Gary
Ready for a night out

We had plenty of time as well to catch up with Mirela, we even managed to have dinner with Benet and Pearl, although Mirela couldn't make it due to work.  It was a beautiful evening and we ate on the beach at the Burj. It was a really good night, not long after this Pearl returned back home.  I don't know how they do it, signing up for 2 years and having to leave their children behind.  For once we actually spent a lot of time with our friends and finally talked Benet into bringing along her boyfriend.  Sorry he's camera shy so no photo's of him this year.
Can't believe it but Gary had his eye's closed.  These two flirt terribly when they are together, good job we live so far apart!

Travelling to Dubai became so much easier once the flights started from Newcastle.  I have only taken really ill once in Dubai and we were terrified when the floor staff wanted to call the doctor.  Even though we had letters to say that I require morphine you are always worried you could be locked up.  We were out at the beach bar when the pain started, by the time we reached the hotel on the golf cart I couldn't stand straight for the pain.  I think we were staying on the 14th floor and it seemed to take forever to get there, thank god we weren't on the 20th.  We had pretty much kept my illness a secret but from then on everyone who served us in the Burj knew I wasn't well.

Mirela and I
We have got to know so many nice people who work out there and if you ever wonder where to go for winter sun I would totally recommend Dubai.  One thing I will say an evening in February and March can be quite chilly so you do need a night wrap or a jacket.

No comments:

Post a Comment